We all love to indulge every once in a while. My guilty pleasure: desserts. Any and all desserts, that is. As long as my sweet tooth has had its fix, I’m a happy camper. But unfortunately, another thing we all know is that a sweet tooth can be one of the quickest things to ruin your waistline. I’m a firm believer that this doesn’t have to be the case. By substituting the nutritionally void ingredients for delicious, wholesome, healthy ones, it’s easy to make a dessert that can chock you full of macro and micronutrients. Of course, there are issues with consuming large quantities of any type of sugar, so one of the keys to an enjoyable dessert is to incorporate your daily fruit servings right into your desserts! By using your daily fruit servings as sweeteners, you won’t end up increasing your sugar intake, but you’ll still end up getting to enjoy a deliciously sweet dessert with some great nutrient content as well!
Working out is awesome, but food is essential for maintaining health and developing physique. A diet that complements your workout regime is a key component on your journey to reaching your health and fitness goals. This gluten free pie with banana filling contains protein, fibre, beneficial fatty acids (omega-3, omega-6, medium-chain-triglycerides), high vitamin and mineral content, and is low in sugar! What more could you ask for in a dessert!? And if you want to do it paleo style, simply sub out the oat flour for extra almond flour. I go back and forth, but I’ve stated oat flour in the recipe as the reduced fat and increased fibre makes this gluten free pie more nutritionally well-rounded. Note that when you blend the bananas, you’re shredding through a lot of the fibre.
This recipe carried me through my days of ultra-fit, no-slip wedding prep. I enjoyed so much that I ended up incorporating it into my regular diet, and I’ll still reach for it even on a ‘cheat day’. Note: if you find yourself craving your healthy dessert on a cheat day; you know it’s a winner.
Gluten Free Pie Recipe
– ¾ cup almond flour
– ¾ cup oat flour
– ¼ cup coconut oil
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– ½ tsp salt
– 2 large, ripe bananas
– 3 large eggs
– 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
– 1 tbsp lemon juice
– ¾ tsp vanilla extract
– 1 ½ cups sliced strawberries or bananas
– 2 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix almond flour, oat flour, coconut oil, salt, and cinnamon together. The mixture will be a bit pasty, press and mould this into a pie dish. Be sure to cover the entire bottom of the dish.
- In a blender, mix bananas, eggs, almond milk, lemon juice and vanilla all together.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a knife can be inserted one inch from the crust and come out clean.
- While baking, slice the strawberries thinly and vertically.
- Once the pie is cooled, place the strawberries or bananas on top of the pie in concentric circles beginning with the outer ring, until the whole pie is covered.
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut and serve!
Bon Appetit! Why not check some of our other recipes, like our gluten free banana bread. Yum!