I was planning on waiting to post this, but I kept on getting inbox messages and honestly am so excited about it that I had to drop everything to bring you the recipe for a breakfast pie that’s so delicious it will change your life! (And possibly digestive health)….
Recently, I wrote a post on the benefits of stewed apples and digestive health. As explained in my other post, preparing apples in this way actually has the power to modify gene expression, inflammation, bacterial balance, estrogen responses and cell cycles, all through a fantastic biological mechanism involving aryl hydrocarbon receptors. (If you’re interested in the scientific breakdown behind all of these benefits, you can read about them here.)
Due to discovering all of the amazing benefits involved from daily consumption of delicious stewed apples, I decided to incorporate this into my daily routine and see how it goes (the verdict so far: delicious ). But the taste was so reminiscent of apple pie filling that pretty soon I was dying for a slice of delicious pie with every meal. Being the mostly grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free nutritionist that I am, I decided it was time to invent a guilt-free pie that I could monstrously devour in one sitting, while scientifically considering it a health-enhancing therapy. Now that’s what I call a win-win.
Although a slice of this pie makes a great dessert, I’ve also designed this recipe to be a stand-alone meal, with well-rounded nutritional and macronutrient considerations to keep you feeling full throughout the day.
So here I give you the keep-you-full-all-morning, immune-regulating, digestive-health-improving, delicious-tasting apple pie:
Ingredients (makes one 8×6 inch baking dish):
- 5 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 apples of your choice (Bramley or Granny Smith have the highest polyphenol content to maximize the digestive benefits)
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Mix all ingredients for the crust together in a bowl. It helps to melt the coconut oil for a few seconds in the microwave if your house is cold and the coconut oil is solidified.
- Press the dough into the baking dish to cover the bottom and go up the sides.
- Place the pie shell in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- While the pie shell is baking, peel and core the apples, and cut them into thin slices.
- Add the apples, cinnamon and water into a heavy-bottomed pot and cook on medium-high for 10 minutes, or until the apples form a soft pulpy mass no longer discernable as individual apple slices. Set aside.
- Once the pie crust is cooked and cooled, pour the pie filling into the crust.
Voila! Delicious apple pie. I encourage you to try eating this every day for 2 weeks, and see if you experience digestive improvements! Wishing you all happy taste buds and happy tummies!