Home of Histamine Intolerance... and Hummus
Searching for a low histamine hummus recipe? Well, I've got a recipe for what I call a LOW HISTAMINE YUMMUS!
I’m a big hummus fan - who isn’t? But is hummus low histamine?
Low Histamine Hummus
If you’re wondering if hummus is low histamine, the answer is... kind of…
Although most of the ingredients in hummus are tolerable by many histamine intolerance sufferers, traditional hummus does still contains a few ingredients such as lemon that may set off a histamine reaction!
Believe it or not, some histamine intolerance sufferers may even react to additives and preservatives in chickpeas if you’re going the route of canned chickpeas.
If you're looking for a comprehensive list of low and high histamine foods, as well as secret tips and tricks to reduce histamine symptoms, I recommend downloading my free Guide to Histamine Intolerance.
To play it safe, I’ve created a 100% low histamine hummus recipe that will satisfy your hummus cravings while also being healthier than traditional hummus.
By substituting the chickpeas with cauliflower, this becomes a low histamine hummus recipe that’s also great for supporting a healthy gut while reducing inflammation and regulating gene expression.
Additionally, the addition of healthy oils provides extra nourishment and can actually enhance nutrient absorption of fat-soluble nutrients. The inclusion of olive oil in this recipe can also produce some amazing results, as studies have shown olive oil consumption to be one of the many methods for naturally increasing DAO enzymes.
In other words, this low histamine hummus kicks butt compared to any other hummus recipe you’re going to find. And, it’s nutritionist-approved by a scientist who personally suffered from histamine intolerance!
And, it’s nutritionist-approved by a scientist who personally suffered from histamine intolerance!
Get ready to say YUMMUS for my fav low histamine hummus!
Cauliflower Low Histamine Hummus
Ingredients (Makes 6 Servings)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 tbsp water
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp organic tahini paste (optional if tolerable)
- additional ¾ tsp salt
- Additional 3 tbsp olive oil for serving
- extra olive oil for serving
- In a microwave safe dish, mix the 2 tbsp olive oil, water, cauliflower, garlic cloves, and ½ tsp. salt; microwave for 15 minutes.
- Once tender, transfer to a food processor and pulse until well blended.
- Add in the tahini, olive oil and ¾ tsp. salt and blend until smooth.
- Serve in a bowl. Create a well to pour 3 tbsp olive oil into the hummus for serving (see photo). Serve alongside your favourite veggies, organic rice cakes or breads.
Want more low histamine recipes like this? Check out my nutritionist-approved Low Histamine Cookbook with 110 delicious recipes!
Life's too short to let symptoms control you.
Your histamine intolerance expert,